July 3, 2017
Abandoned + Historied 16th Street Station, Oakland
16th Street Station is a relic of a disappeared Oakland, when rail travel was the best way to get around. Except that the building, large and looming, beautiful and grand, is still very much a part of the landscape in deep West Oakland.
16th Street Station was built in 1912, and represents a thriving African-American community, a time when West Oakland was a destination, when it was actually called Oakland Central Station. The building and property was also home of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, which was the first African American union in the country.
The building was severely damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake and as of late, has been used for events and film/music videos.